Thursday, May 24, 2012

Flat Butt Day 4 - Folding, Folding and Folding.

Origami fold
We are winding down towards the end of Day 4 of the Dirty Diaper Laundry 2nd Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge. I have to be honest - I'm over it. I love the flats. I am not giving up on using flats. We've really fallen in love. I don't mind handwashing, especially when my husband is the one to wring out the diapers before we hang them. I have my folds that I like. I'm just...meh. I really just don't feel like writing about it. I don't know that I have 7 days worth of stuff to say about flat diapers. There are already a lot of great videos on how to handwash, how to make a camp style washer and how to do every fold imaginable. I don't know what I have to add to the discussion. Hey guys, I wet the diapers, I put soap on them, I rinsed them, I squeezed them and I hung them. See? Meh. At the same time, I really enjoy reading other blogs about it. I'm loving the fact that so many are discovering a very viable option for diapering that is very frugal, simple and great for the health of our babies and our planet.

With that bit of Debbie Downer whining out of the way, let's talk about folding. There are many folds when it comes to flat diapers. No seriously, there are a lot. You can fold them in varying ways to adjust the trimness and the absorbancy of the diaper. It seems intimidating at first, but you do get the hang of it after a few tries. I'd probably be crying in a heap of unused diapers if it wasn't for YouTube. My pack of Osocozy flats came with an illustration of how to fold the diapers. I have learned that I am not smart enough to learn folding techniques from illustrations. No sir. I need to see it done in front of me either in person or on the screen. There are hundreds of videos dedicated to all sorts of folding techniques for flats.

Ugh. I really just don't feel like writing about this. It's not my style.  If you have read me on a regular basis, you know that these past few blogs have been lacking in my usual flavor. I honestly can't talk to you about folds. I like a few of them - diaper bag, pad, origami and maybe gaynor. To be honest, it's been a real pain in the ass because Squishy doesn't want to be still for more than a minute and I have to let her play with a Snappi just to keep her occupied.


I am sorry for such a bum update. I am doing fabulous with the challenge and loving the flats. I'm just not doing so fabulous with the writing. Maybe it will be better tomorrow.

Diaper shown is a Swaddlebees flat diaper, with a Mudshrimps custom diaper cover. 

My previous entries for the challenge:
Introductory Post
Day 1 - The Small Print
Day 2 - The Stash
Day 3 - Laundry Day

And, please, check out some of the other fabulous bloggers who are writing about their experience with this challenge.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...